Wondering if baptism is your next step?
This page has been designed to explain baptism and the necessary steps to be baptized at Journey.
We want baptism to be a meaningful and enjoyable experience, and we look forward to walking through it with you.
The information that follows is intended to contain all you need to know about baptism at Journey, but if you have further questions, feel free to contact us.
Who should be baptized?
We believe the Bible teaches that the death of Jesus Christ on the cross provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sin. Therefore, salvation (i.e. the forgiveness of sins) occurs only when a person places his or her faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus as the sufficient payment for his or her sin. If you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that he died for your sin on the cross, and if you want to follow his leadership in your life then you are ready to be baptized.
What Baptism Symbolizes
Baptism is more than a person being dipped under water; it is filled with deep spiritual meaning and reality. Consider the spiritual realities that baptism so vividly pictures:
- An embrace of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- A sharing in His death and resurrection, illustrated by going under the water (dead to your old life), then rising again (new life)
- A symbolism of being washed clean and sins being forgiven by His death on the cross
Because Jesus instructed us to be baptized, baptism is an act of obedience. While the act of baptism itself does not save us, obedience to Christ in baptism demonstrates our submission to God and simple faith in him. We immerse (dip under water) at Journey Christian Church because we believe the Bible shows that Jesus modeled that for us as the way to publicly acknowledge our faith in Him.
The baptism process at Journey has been designed to be both simple and meaningful. From the registration form to the baptism meeting, each step has been carefully planned with you in mind:
- Complete the Baptism Registration Form
- The Director of Student Ministry will reach out to you to schedule your baptism date and talk with you about sharing your story via video
- Once your video and baptism are scheduled, we will have a conversation to help you shape your story in a way that points people toward Jesus
- Your baptism will take place directly after your video shoot
- We will then work with the service production team to schedule your baptism video to be shown in service