We’re glad you’re interested in becoming a Community Group leader!
Community Groups are an integral part of what we do as a church. We believe that sustained life change occurs as we are growing in a relationship with Christ. We believe this happens best when we are prioritizing intentional relationships with others who are seeking this same goal. Community Groups provide people with the opportunity to connect with others, grow in their relationship with Christ, and experience community. Our Community Group leaders create environments for people to develop and grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
Paul taught the Corinthians that some plant the seeds, others water them, but God makes them grow (1 Corinthians 3:6). Group leaders have the privilege of creating environments in which seeds of faith are planted and watered in the lives of those they lead, while trusting God with the growth. Our leaders play a pivotal role in helping us achieve our mission to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ!
Since our Community Group leaders play such an important role, we take great care when enlisting them. Please read through the information below to better understand the role of a leader, qualifications, and expectations. If, after consideration, you are interested in pursuing Community Group leadership, please follow the instructions below to complete the Group Leader Application. Once we receive your application, we will contact you for an interview. Should you have questions regarding any of the following information, please call us at 804-763-0231.
Role of a Community Group Leader
Community Group leaders are responsible for providing their groups with vision, direction, and support. Leaders are successful when they are personally growing in their intimacy with God, community with insiders, and influence with outsiders (The 3 Vital Relationships) and are leading their groups in such a way as to encourage the group members’ growth in these three relationships as well. Community Group leaders are supported by a North Point Groups staff member.
- Have a personal, growing relationship with Jesus Christ (preferably for two years or more)
- Recognize the Bible as the authority for their lives
- Have Community Group experience (preferably)
- Be a member of Journey Christian Church
- Have the time, emotional capacity, and moral discernment to lead a group
- Lead the group by facilitating the group meeting, monitoring its health and duration, and promoting participation among group members
- Commit to engage in leadership development opportunities provided by the church
- Identify and develop a qualified apprentice and embrace apprentice leader development as a measure of success
- For Married Community Groups, both husband and wife actively participate in all group leadership activities
If you have read all of the above, please fill out our Community Group Leader Application and we will contact you for an interview.